slave cylinder rebuild

dwd58
Learning My Moped
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:59 am
My Bike: 2005 s83

slave cylinder rebuild

2006 s83 1400 have no pressure on clutch lever at all. It was weak during hot riding, but finally lost it all. Rebuilt the master cylinder . Bled lines but cant get any pressure to build up. Slave cylinder is not leaking at all . I haven't taken it apart yet because I wanted the kit in hand before I tore it down. I cant find the slave rebuild kit for this model. Anyone have any links ?


navigator
Rejoined 1000cc Club
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:33 pm
My Bike: VS800

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by navigator »

Find a parts fiche on line for your model.
All you need is the rubber cup,
cheapcycleparts .com
partsoutlaws.com have fiche's.



dwd58
Learning My Moped
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:59 am
My Bike: 2005 s83

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by dwd58 »

Will a slave cylinder problem cause no pressure to build even though the slave cylinder is not leaking?


navigator
Rejoined 1000cc Club
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:33 pm
My Bike: VS800

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by navigator »

Probably air in the lines or banjo fitting.
Have you tried reverse bleeding?


Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:08 pm
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by Spacecoast »

After I re-built my slave cylinder (which was very simple) I had trouble bleeding it and getting a firm feel. I discovered that the master cylinder was tilted too much, thus allowing the fluid input hole to be exposed (and thus gulp air) even though there was still fluid. Once I solved that, no trouble bleeding.


dwd58
Learning My Moped
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:59 am
My Bike: 2005 s83

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by dwd58 »

I just used designers method of bleeding the master cylinder and got all the air bubbles out of the banjo, so now I have plenty of clutch pressure. It wouldn't all come out with just plain bleeding down at the slave cylinder. I have plenty of clutch pressure now. Thanks guys.


User avatar

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:07 am
My Bike: Vs1400

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok I have a question about the banjo bolt on the master cylinder, my bike has these stupid chrome caps over the bolt head of the banjo bolt, how the hell do you get them off, I tried yesterday & couldn't get the stupid thing off, and how hard is it to rebuild both the master cylinder & the slave cylinder.

Image


navigator
Rejoined 1000cc Club
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:33 pm
My Bike: VS800

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by navigator »

Bobbersrule wrote:Ok I have a question about the banjo bolt on the master cylinder, my bike has these stupid chrome caps over the bolt head of the banjo bolt, how the hell do you get them off, I tried yesterday & couldn't get the stupid thing off, and how hard is it to rebuild both the master cylinder & the slave cylinder.

Carefully pry the plastic caps off with a sheetrock knife. The mounting clamp will have the caps, the banjo bolt should be a hex head.
Rebuilding either is cake with the proper tools and replacement parts.....it also helps to have the basic mechanical abilities.


Lechy
Back on the Road
Posts: 3710
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:58 pm
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by Lechy »

@ Bobber.
For the master you will need a pair of internal circlip pliers, small. The main seal is belled so make sure the slightly wider end is facing the pressure (downstream). The slave, if it is the same as the 800's has a retainer cup which can be a bastid to remove, it's just pressed in but can get tight.. The clutch on a normal system will bite at the last 25% of release.
[emoji41]

Grow old disgracefully young man.


User avatar

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:07 am
My Bike: Vs1400

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok, So yeah I have the mechanical abilities, just never rebuilt either before, but have rebuilt carbs and air ratchet wrenches & impact wrenches, so yeah no prob there, just wondering if i need to rebuild mine because my clutch grabs almost immediately on letting the handle out, but it did that before i flushed & refilled & bled mine yesterday. so can or does the clutch have an adjustment?

Image


Lechy
Back on the Road
Posts: 3710
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:58 pm
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by Lechy »

No adjustment on hydraulic clutches, If your master was crudded up, your slave will be cemented up.
[emoji41]

Grow old disgracefully young man.


User avatar

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:07 am
My Bike: Vs1400

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by Bobbersrule »

ok so does that mean my clutches need replacing, I know that once i was done flushing & refilling & bleeding yesterday, i have clear fluid coming thru, it was bad before, so maybe it just needs to work thru it all, i can shift up and down it seems better, who knows, maybe just need to get the designer spring kit next payday & do that next.

Image


Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:08 pm
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by Spacecoast »

I re-built my slave...its very simple. Disconnect the line, remove the two bolts holding the slave, and replace the seal ring by popping out the piston. Be sure to note the direction of the old seal ring prior to pulling it off the piston. I used a tire pump to pop out the piston, and I also re-used the return spring. Total cost of doing this was the $5 seal ring.


dwd58
Learning My Moped
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:59 am
My Bike: 2005 s83

Re: slave cylinder rebuild

Post by dwd58 »

I rebuilt my master clutch cylinder and bled it from the slave cylinder , but still didn't have much resistance until I used designers method of bleeding which was to hold the bike up so that the master cylinder is higher than the banjo connector. That is the secret to the method. Now I have all the clutch I need. More than the bike has ever had. It is a fantastic method of bleeding a line.